Use our compost calculator to figure out how much soil you will need for your garden. Calculate based on your unique garden layout!
Or, see our Rates at a Glance for your project-type.
To start calculating, select “Project Type,” then add shapes and areas (dimensions) that best represent your garden. There are geometric shapes at the bottom for help determining the measurements for common garden areas. You can add multiple shapes and dimensions in our soil calculator! Click “Calculate” to see how many bags of compost your project will most likely require. Note: 1 BigYellowBag = 1 cubic yard and 1 Small Bag = 1/2 cubic foot.
How Much Topsoil Do I Need for My Lawn?
- Sodding a new lawn – 1 Cubic Yard per 1,000 sq. ft.
- Seeding a new lawn (amending soil) – 1 Cubic Yard per 1,000 sq. ft.
- Seeding a new lawn (mulch overseed) – 1 Cubic Yard per 2,000 sq. ft.
- Overseeding a lawn – 1 Cubic Yard per 1,000 sq. ft.
How Much Soil Do I Need for Raised Flower Beds and Shrub Borders?
- Traditional garden beds & shrub borders – 1 Cubic Yard per 500 sq. ft.
- Raised garden beds – Our Doc’s Garden Bed Kit comes with all the SOIL3 needed to fill your bed
- If you have your own raised garden bed, use our SOIL3 Calculator to find out how much you need based on the depth
Spread over the entire bed and mix/till into the existing soil. Mixing SOIL3 with the entire bed will provide better long-term results.
How Much Potting Soil Do I Need for Container Gardening?
- Container – 1 Cubic Foot per 6 gallons
Plant directly into SOIL3 for your container gardens. SOIL3 make the perfect growing medium as it increases the growth and health of your plants. Read more here: Container Gardening and Potting Soil
How Much Compost Do I Need to Aerate and Spread Across My Yard?
- Aerating & spreading compost – 1 Cubic Yard per 1,000 sq. ft.
SOIL3 contains beneficial microorganisms to keep your soil thriving. An added benefit is that compost has been shown to suppress fungal diseases on lawns. Topdressing with SOIL3 compost after aerating.
READY TO GET STARTED?
Add SOIL3 to your preparation plan. Your plants will grow better, look better, and you will enjoy your lawn and garden much more when you start with SOIL3.